I recently had a conversation with a mom who was interested in having her 2 kids try a yoga class. She was explaining to me that she wants her kids to continue to be active with their normal activities (sports, music, school, friends, you name it!) but she was also searching for something DIFFERENT. So, she wanted to know, "What makes children's yoga different?"
The good news is that her kids have a bit of experience with yoga from their school, but they have never attended a children's yoga class in a yoga studio. As I started to explain how my studio classes blend yoga poses with music, and fun activities for the kids, I also explained how I incorporate mindfulness and peacefulness into each class --- and that is when she stopped me and wanted to know more about this piece.
And this is what really separates a children's yoga class from a "typical" children's activity -- certified yoga teachers find a unique balance in each class. They balance an activity that improves strength, flexibility, and coordination with an activity that provides the kids the opportunity to simply "be". Each class gives the kids a time for themselves, a time to relax, to be imaginative, and (put simply) a time for them to think. It's a unique balance and it's unique to children's yoga.
Without me going any further, she simply said, "I love it. I want them to try it."
This is one of the reasons why I decided to start Butterfly Kids Yoga -- to give children a way to find this unique balance and maybe even introduce them to an activity that could benefit them for many years to come.
In 2017, one of my goals is to introduce Butterfly Kids Yoga to as many parents and children as possible. I can't wait to show your kids (and the Mom from my recent conversation) how unique and different children's yoga truly is.
Here's to a great 2017!
And, here is this week's class schedule -- there is something for everyone!
- Family Yoga: Sat, 1/7 from 3-4pm @ Victor Yoga Studio. Click here to sign up.
- Ages 8 - 12: Sat, 1/7 from 12:30-1:15pm @ East Side Wellness Center in Fairport. Click here to sign up.
- Ages 5 - 8: Sat, 1/7 from 11-11:45am @ East Side Wellness Center in Fairport. Click here to sign up.
- Ages 3 - 5: All studio classes below are @ East Side Wellness Center in Fairport.
- Tuesday, 1/3 from 10-10:45am. Click here to sign up.
- Thursday, 1/5 from 10-10:45am. Click here to sign up.
- Friday, 1/6 from 10-10:45am. Click here to sign up.
Happy New Year and namaste, everyone!