As a children's yoga instructor, I love the differences that each age group offers. From my 8-12 year olds, to my 5-8 year olds, to my 3-5 year olds, I enjoy making each class unique and age-appropriate. For the 3-5 year olds (preschoolers), I love how they are small in size, but BIG in energy, imagination, and wide-eyed wonder. And I'm often asked how it's possible to teach yoga to such a young age. Do they really do it? The answer is YES!
So how do you teach preschoolers yoga?
- We take our time. Many times the little ones are timid, shy, and sometimes hesitant. We go slow, and make it a comfortable environment where everyone can learn and have fun.
- Music is a key part of class. From our silly, active yoga activities to our calmer moments, music is integrated into everything we do.
- We have fun and are active! We learn about yoga through fun activities, songs and games like Yoga Obstacle Courses, "Yoga-Yoga-Yoga-POSE!", "Red Light, Green Light, Yoga Pose!", "Head, Shoulders, Yoga Pose", and the infamous Yoga Parachute. Just to name a few! A great outlet for all of that extra energy...
- We learn how to work together. Many of the social skills that preschoolers are learning in school can be found in yoga too. Taking turns, working with a partner, sharing, and being a good friend are all important parts of class.
- We learn how to be calm and relax. Even at 3, 4 and 5 years old, little ones enjoy learning about yoga breathing, they love resting on their mats in "Secret Garden" relaxing time, and love our Talking Stick sharing circle at the end of class.
FALL CLASSES FOR AGES 3 - 5
This fall, there are 3 class options to get your preschooler involved in yoga!
Studio class (Fairport, map it here)
Tuesdays @ 10:00-10:45am
Our Tuesday morning studio class is a great option to come to class as it fits your schedule. Simply buy your pass online (1x, 2x or 5x passes available) and enroll right online. Studio classes give you the flexibility of coming when you can! Click here for upcoming Tuesday 10AM classes for ages 3-5.
Victor Rec Center sessions (Victor, map it here)
Thursdays @ 10:00-10:45am
New! Classes at the Victor Rec Center allow you to enroll in a 6-week session, where we meet once a week on Thursday morning for 6 weeks. Two fall sessions available and enrollment is now open!
- Session 1: 9/14-10/19 (6 weeks). Click here to enroll.
- Session 2: 10/26-12/7 (6 weeks). Click here to enroll.
* Registration is directly through the Town of Victor Rec Center (see Preschool Programs).
Perinton Rec Center sessions (Perinton, map it here)
Fridays @ 10:00-10:45am
Classes at the Perinton Rec Center allow you to enroll in an 8-week or 7-week session, where we meet once a week on Friday morning. Two fall sessions available:
- Session 1: 9/8-11/13 (8 weeks). Click here to enroll.
- Session 2: 11/17-1/12 (7 weeks). Click here to enroll.
* Registration is directly through the Perinton Rec Center.
And as always, parents are more than welcome to stay and watch or wait comfortably outside of our yoga area. My goal is to create a comfortable environment for everyone!
See you soon, my friends.
UPCOMING BUTTERFLY KIDS YOGA CLASSES & EVENTS